Monday, March 24, 2008

The Old Woman and the Physician (aesop)

AN OLD WOMAN having lost the use of her eyes, called in aPhysician to heal them, and made this bargain with him in thepresence of witnesses: that if he should cure her blindness, heshould receive from her a sum of money; but if her infirmityremained, she should give him nothing. This agreement beingmade, the Physician, time after time, applied his salve to hereyes, and on every visit took something away, stealing all herproperty little by little. And when he had got all she had, hehealed her and demanded the promised payment. The Old Woman,when she recovered her sight and saw none of her goods in herhouse, would give him nothing. The Physician insisted on hisclaim, and. as she still refused, summoned her before the Judge. The Old Woman, standing up in the Court, argued: "This man herespeaks the truth in what he says; for I did promise to give him asum of money if I should recover my sight: but if I continuedblind, I was to give him nothing. Now he declares that I amhealed. I on the contrary affirm that I am still blind; for whenI lost the use of my eyes, I saw in my house various chattels andvaluable goods: but now, though he swears I am cured of myblindness, I am not able to see a single thing in it."


(comment)
He who plays a trick must be prepared to take a joke

No comments: